Friday, January 30, 2009

Psalm 82

Psalm 82

3 Give justice to the weak and the fatherless;
maintain the right of the afflicted and the destitute.
4 Rescue the weak and the needy;
deliver them from the hand of the wicked.

5 They have neither knowledge nor understanding,
they walk about in darkness;
all the foundations of the earth are shaken.

The weak and the needy weigh heavy on my heart this morning. I feel so helpless when I see people everywhere hurting in so many ways and I can't fix it. They tell me their troubles and struggles and I just want to run to their rescue and be the hero, but I can't. I don't know what to do or how to help! I know that the gospel is the only real hope for everyone. But what about those who don't heed the call and come to Christ. What about those who are already in Christ and are still hurting? I know. The gospel. Christ is our only hope.

So many are walking about in the darkness, like the living dead stumbling through life. It looks so normal to us that we don't notice it, and in some ways we start looking like zombies ourselves!

God, let me be your hands and feet to the poor and needy (physically and spiritually!) Show me who they are and then teach me how to help them. All the foundations of the earth are shaken. Nothing is as it should be. Jesus, show me how your church, your bride, your body, should be rescuing. Let me walk among the living dead breathing life, the life that only you can give.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, what powerful verses!

Amanda ~ My heart is also heavy and my hope is also in Christ. It is the Gospel that ultimately rescues the weak and needy from the hands of the wicked. Thankfully, it is also the Gospel that continues to infuse new life into those of us who have been too long in a zombie-like state.

Dear God, we see the needs and hear the cries. Help us to not keep the light you have give us hidden, but to let it shine before others, so that they may see YOUR good works and give YOU the glory!