Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Psalm 90: Establish The Work of Our Hands

Psalm 90

9 For all our days pass away under your wrath;
we bring our years to an end like a sigh.
10 The years of our life are seventy,
or even by reason of strength eighty;
yet their span is but toil and trouble;
they are soon gone, and we fly away.
11 Who considers the power of your anger,
and your wrath according to the fear of you?

12 So teach us to number our days
that we may get a heart of wisdom.

A thousand years in God's sight are "but as yesterday when it is past." "Like the grass that flourishes in the morning and fades and withers in the evening." This world is passing away, along with many of the people in it, and I am lamenting my youth slipping away from me. I'm distraught because my face is beginning to show signs that point to the fact that I'm going to get old! Duh! Somehow I am shocked by it. Never mind that everyone from the beginning of time has been getting older everyday. And no amount of working out or eating healthy has ever changed it. Oh, what useless agony to be concerned about aging!

Then I read this verse, "teach us to number our days, THAT WE MAY GET A HEART OF WISDOM." Interesting that numbering our days, or realizing that we're passing away = a heart of wisdom. I am so afraid of thinking about getting older that I am missing the blessing to be found in the mindset that thinks of this world as withering away. There is so much important work to be done and so little time! We see toil and struggle all of our days and we get so distracted by it, when God has left us here as rescuers, to deliver others from the toil!

14 Satisfy us in the morning with your steadfast love,
that we may rejoice and be glad all our days.
15 Make us glad for as many days as you have afflicted us,
and for as many years as we have seen evil.
16 Let your work be shown to your servants,
and your glorious power to their children.
17 Let the favor of the Lord our God be upon us,
and establish the work of our hands upon us;
yes, establish the work of our hands!

O, Lord, teach me to number my days, and be satisfied with your steadfast love. As we commit to working for you in the communities around us, it means nothing if you don't let Your work be shown, and Your glorious power be seen! Let the favor of our Lord be upon us here. Now. And establish the work of our hands!! Let us prosper in our Kingdom work, Lord, for your name's sake!

7 comments:

JanAl said...

I refuse to grow old!
lol! (too bad! huh!)
Because I am feeling it more now, than ever!
For me, my mind grows stronger, but my body grows weaker. Praise God that He is my satisfaction!

Anonymous said...

I love what David also says in Psalm 71, verses 9 and 17-18 "Do not cast me off in the time of old age; forsake me not when my strength is spent." "O God, from my youth you have taught me, and I still proclaim your wondrous deeds. So even to old age and gray hairs, O God, do not forsake me, until I proclaim your might to another generation, your power to all those to come."

May the Lord give us the wisdom and strength to redeem the time we have left in order to proclaim His truth to another generation!

Amanda said...

Debbie,
Those are wonderful verses! Thank you. As I read and prayed over the last few verses in this Psalm this morning, I was thinking about the work that is yet to begin, including what we talked about on Sunday. We need to get together on this. Is there anyone else that you know who wants to brainstorm with us? If so, then let's find out when they are available. If not, then let's get together this week. Tomorrow, Thurs, Fri... let me know.

Amanda said...

Janal,
I'm refusing with you, but it's not working! lol

Your search for wisdom and your talking about it has been a huge instrument that God has used to remind me that there are much more important things to focus on than my appearance and my fun! I love you, sister!

Anonymous said...

Amanda,
I would still love to get together this week. Cathy would like to join us and I will contact another person who was standing there and may also be interested. I will give you a call to work out the details.

I have been gathering information since Friday. I am rejoicing that we can rest in the One who will establish our hands!

Nan said...

Hi!

Great post! Aging was not a problem for me until the past few years. I just told Dennis last night how childish. immature and silly it is to mourne getting old! I just realized from your post, how selfish it is! If I'm busy thinking about all the ways to stave off the inevitable, guess what I'm not busy at? Kingdom work! Well, I would probably find something else to keep me from Kingdom work....
however, it's amazing that when I'm busy doing Kingdom work, my age just kinda disappears! That seems to be the time when I feel the most vibrant, energetic, and good about myself!
Reading your post has been a shot in the arm. Much better than a shot of Botox!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.