Thursday, January 22, 2009

Psalm 78: Tell the Coming Generation

Psalm 78

18 They tested God in their heart
by demanding the food they craved.
19 They spoke against God, saying,
“Can God spread a table in the wilderness?
20 He struck the rock so that water gushed out
and streams overflowed.
Can he also give bread
or provide meat for his people?”

God has provided me with breath and life and light. He has given me a husband perfectly suited to me, and filled my home with wonderful children. He has given us an over abundance of food and drink to enjoy over the course of our lives, and a beautiful home to enjoy them in. He has pulled me out of the pit of destruction and made my steps secure! Do you think, maybe, he could make sure we have food to eat this week? And money to pay our bills? Because I'm not sure, I don't know if He can do it. It just seems such a daunting task for God, I just don't know...

Incredibly, this is how my mind works! Of course, I wouldn't say these words out loud, or even think them word for word in my head, but this is what it comes down to. I fret, I worry, I become downcast. Why, if I truly believe that God is my refuge and deliverer? Have I forgotten all that He has already done? What example am I showing my children?

2 I will open my mouth in a parable;
I will utter dark sayings from of old,
3 things that we have heard and known,
that our fathers have told us.
4 We will not hide them from their children,
but tell to the coming generation
the glorious deeds of the Lord, and his might,
and the wonders that he has done. 5 He established a testimony in Jacob
and appointed a law in Israel,
which he commanded our fathers
to teach to their children,
6 that the next generation might know them,
the children yet unborn,
and arise and tell them to their children,
7 so that they should set their hope in God
and not forget the works of God

What would happen if I were constantly reminding my children all that God has done for us instead of walking around discouraged? They should NEVER hear me complain about money or lack of possessions!! What does that say to them about my faith in the goodness of God? If I want them to set their hope in God, and I do, then I must be revealing to them the true God who is always good to His people and always knows what's best for them. The true God whose ways are far above my ways and who deserves unquestioning, unwavering submission. The true God who never leaves and never forsakes!

Lord, help me to see you for who you are so that I can reflect you accurately to my children. Thank you for having a steadfast love that endures forever, so that when I fail and fall you are there to pick me up. You have made my steps secure. You have granted me so much more faith and grace in this area, but, Lord, I have a long way to go. Please reveal yourself to my children despite my failures. Please draw them to you, and let them set their hope in YOU!

2 comments:

JanAl said...

Yes Lord, help us to put our hope in You!

Anonymous said...

This post resonates within me because I can so well identify. I am amazed and comforted by God's Providential care in my life and the lives of His children, which leads to much praise and worship. And yet give my mind just a moment to dwell on a current circumstance, and I can instantly be filled with doubt and fear, losing all hope. How thankful I am that "...he knows our frame; he remembers that we are dust" and then gives the gift of repentence so that my eyes can once again see His constant goodness!

Lord, help me to reflect you accurately also!

I appreciate you sharing your heart on this Amanda!