Monday, January 12, 2009

Psalm 40, Making My Steps Secure

1 I waited patiently for the Lord;
he inclined to me and heard my cry.
2 He drew me up from the pit of destruction,
out of the miry bog,
and set my feet upon a rock,
making my steps secure.
3 He put a new song in my mouth,
a song of praise to our God.
Many will see and fear,
and put their trust in the Lord.

If I could only remember that the Lord is inclined to me and hears my cry! Maybe I would wait patiently for Him instead of worrying and fretting and feeling like I am holding the whole world up on my shoulders.

He has set my feet upon a rock and made my steps secure. Wow! If that isn't the ultimate anti-worrying verse. So you mean that I can't make one wrong move and make my whole world crumble? You mean that if I say the wrong thing, I'm not going to fall into oblivion? You mean if I make the wrong decision about whether or not to discipline one of my children for a given offense, they're not going to walk away from the faith and be permanently damaged?

This definitely puts a new song of praise in my mouth. God is the one who drew me up from the pit, and HE is the one who keeps me from falling back into it!

Lord, may my soul rest in you in such a way that those around me can see it! May those who look at my life see one who is not bearing the weight of the world, but rather looking forward to inheriting the earth with the ONE who is actually holding it up! I pray that they would see enough of a reflection of you in me, that many would see and fear and put their trust in you.

17 As for me, I am poor and needy,
but the Lord takes thought for me.
You are my help and my deliverer;
do not delay, O my God

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amanda,
I am so thankful to have come across your blog and thankful also that you chose to make it public. In just the few posts I have read I've already been encouraged by your willingness to share your heart for God. It is comforting to know that the struggles we encounter as we are being conformed into the likeness of Christ are common among God's people. Thank you for humbling yourself enough to share.
I love the title of your blog, "Living Water", and look forward to stopping by here often for refreshment. Better yet than a couple of your favorite things..."good coffee" and "good wine" is the "Living Water".

Cathy

Amanda said...

Cathy,
Thank you for the kind words. It has been such a blessing to write my thoughts. They are solidified in my own mind and heart as I write them.
All of the good things this life has offer are only meant as a shadow and reminder of the best thing, the Living Water!