Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Psalm 107: Let The Redeemed of the Lord Say So

Psalm 107

10 Some sat in darkness and in the shadow of death,
prisoners in affliction and in irons,
11 for they had rebelled against the words of God,
and spurned the counsel of the Most High.
12 So he bowed their hearts down with hard labor;
they fell down, with none to help.
13 Then they cried to the Lord in their trouble,
and he delivered them from their distress.
14 He brought them out of darkness and the shadow of death,
and burst their bonds apart.
15 Let them thank the Lord for his steadfast love,
for his wondrous works to the children of man!
16 For he shatters the doors of bronze
and cuts in two the bars of iron.

I look around me and I see these people in these verses. In the shadow of death, hearts bowed down with hard labor, spurning the counsel of God, and they don't know why they feel like they are in chains. And I also remember that this was me, and is me without the blood of Christ covering me. But He has burst my bonds apart! Oh, that I would live in light of this freedom everyday!

1 Oh give thanks to the Lord, for he is good,
for his steadfast love endures forever!
2 Let the redeemed of the Lord say so,
whom he has redeemed from trouble

I am so encouraged today by these verses. How easy it seems to advance the Kingdom of God! We all begin in the shadow of death, in chains. Jesus comes and forgives our sins and breaks our bonds. We are so happy to be free that we cannot help but shout his praises. He is good, His steadfast love endures forever! Others in chains hear our cries of joy, and wonder how they could be free from their chains. We tell them the good news of Jesus, and he breaks their chains and they shout for joy, and others hear their cries... and on and on. Let the redeemed of the Lord say so!

God, let me be a voice. I have seen you work, Lord, out of my feeble attempt at evangelism. You redeemed me, gave me hope, made me happy, and all I had to do was say so. There are so many others around me who are in the desert, and in the darkness. Give them ears to hear, Lord, because we are going to shout your praises!

1 comment:

JanAl said...

Forever Praising God!