Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Psalm 46: The Lord of Hosts Is With Us

Psalm 46

1 God is our refuge and strength,
a very present help in trouble.
2 Therefore we will not fear though the earth gives way,
though the mountains be moved into the heart of the sea,
3 though its waters roar and foam,
though the mountains tremble at its swelling. Selah

6 The nations rage, the kingdoms totter;
he utters his voice, the earth melts.
7 The Lord of hosts is with us;
the God of Jacob is our fortress.

10 “Be still, and know that I am God.
I will be exalted among the nations,
I will be exalted in the earth!”
11 The Lord of hosts is with us;
the God of Jacob is our fortress.

You are God! The nations are raging, the kingdoms tottering. But when you utter your voice, the earth melts and bends to your will. You are our refuge and our strength, you are our only help in trouble. Utter your voice today, Lord, and I will be still and know that you are God.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

May He grant us a heightened sense and appreciation of His omnipotence. This is why, while many hate thunder storms, I love them. When the earth seems to shake at it's core with thunder, I am reminded and can even physically feel the intense power of His might.
May we also make it a habit to be still in the midst of all the world's distractions.
God grant us these graces that You may be glorified.

Amanda said...

Darby loves storms as well. I am still praying for that. I'm not afraid of storms like I was as a child, but I have not come to the point where I love them. I am hoping that this constant meditating on God's Living Word will bring me closer to that goal of seeing everything (storms physical and figurative)through eyes of faith!

"God grant us these graces that You may be glorified."