Monday, January 19, 2009

Psalm75: It Is I Who Keep Steady Its Pillars

Psalm 75

2 “At the set time that I appoint
I will judge with equity.
3 When the earth totters, and all its inhabitants,
it is I who keep steady its pillars. Selah
4 I say to the boastful, ‘Do not boast,’
and to the wicked, ‘Do not lift up your horn;
5 do not lift up your horn on high,
or speak with haughty neck.’”


How wonderful to come across this Psalm on the eve of Inauguration Day!

As I have tried to gaze into the future of America in these last months, I am unsure and afraid. I am apprehensive about the fate of even the relatively simple lifestyle that I now live. I am becoming more and more convinced that those who prophesy of the crumbling of the United States, though completely unfounded biblically, may prove to be quite true practically.

But then God says to me, "when the earth totters and all its inhabitants, It is I who keep steady its pillars." And I realize all that is unfolding, wherever it leads, is just another bend in the road of God's redemptive history. It dawns on me that the prosperity and the success that this country has seen in the past has not been due the our perfect expression of government, or our great "Christian" leaders, or the goodwill of the American people, or our capitalist economy, or our mighty military. It has been God who has been holding it up all along. And I dare say that He was not prospering America due to its over abundance of righteous people, or due to the fact that they used to pray in public schools, or display the ten commandments in the courtrooms. It was simply part of His redemption story!

So, wherever we are headed as a nation in the future, I am certain it will be just where God intends us to be.

6 For not from the east or from the west
and not from the wilderness comes lifting up,
7 but it is God who executes judgment,
putting down one and lifting up another.

And it may prove to be a glorious time indeed! When things are going well, the world tends to feel pretty self-sufficient. People are wrapped up in personal comfort and momentary pleasure. When things are miserable, people tend to think about more ultimate questions and start to wonder about God and why they exist. This could be a wonderful opportunity for the church to shine the light of the gospel in a way not possible just a few years ago. My husband said it best, God has raised up Barack Obama, (along with every other leader) for such a time as this! Wherever any president thinks he is leading this country, whether good or evil in our eyes, we need to remember, it is God who executes judgment, putting down one country, one leader, and lifting another up.

1 We give thanks to you, O God;
we give thanks, for your name is near.
We recount your wondrous deeds.

Lord, help me to see with Kingdom eyes! Help me to count this economic and political hardship as opportunity. Help me to think not of what it may do to my personal lifestyle, and what turmoil it may cause, but help me think of the wonderful opportunity it creates to recount your wondrous deed, to share Christ and to add worshippers to your Kingdom! Father, be with our leaders, conservative and liberal, Republican and Democrat, Christian and Atheist, and guide them in the way that best serves your Kingdom. Let us see that this is just the next step toward the day when the skies will be rolled back and victory will be forever ours!

4 comments:

JanAl said...

Great post! I also needed to be reminded of that, especially with the media making a big deal, and seeing children sing songs of worship to their leader. You are right on when you say that comforting times really doesn't give us the same opportunity as troubled times , to share our hope in Christ.

Anonymous said...

Let us see that this is just the next step toward the day when the skies will be rolled back and victory will be forever ours!
Amen! Come quickly Lord Jesus! May we be found looking to the author and "finisher" of our faith when Christ returns rather than being troubled by what we see happening around us. It is such a comfort to know God has all things under His total control. I love what Ann Voskamp said recently in her blog, "Holy Experience"..."We only become unsteady when we step out of the Word and into the whirl". May we stand with feet firmly planted on the Solid Rock as the sands of this world continue to shift. Glory to God in the highest!

Amanda said...

"May we stand with feet firmly planted on the Solid Rock as the sands of this world continue to shift."

Amen!

Anonymous said...

Adding my Amen!

Pro 21:1 The king's heart is a stream of water in the hand of the Lord ; he turns it wherever he will.

Yes Lord, help me to see with Kingdom eyes!