Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Psalm 66, How Awesome Are Your Deeds

As I read this text, I couldn't help but think of "Testify to Love" by Avalon. I remember when this song was first released I was a fairly new Christian. I thought of this song as a "sell out" because the lyrics were not expressly about Christ. Now, bear in mind, that my LIFE was not expressly about Christ at that time and the singers in Avalon were probably much more mature Christians than me, but I stood in judgment over them for this song.

Years later I was driving by myself and this song came on. It had been a while since I had heard it, and I just sat and listened. Now, I'm a sing-a-long kind of person, it is rare that I listen to a song that I know and don't sing it. But for whatever reason, I was quiet and listened. The lyrics are not profound if you have no context for them, but when you know the God that they are referring to, apparently they can be powerful. As I let these words penetrate my heart, I was filled with the most amazing sense of wonder at who God is. I was overwhelmed by a sense of His presence all around in everything and everywhere. I was in awe of His greatness, and delighted in the realization that all of creation is a reflection of Him. As I looked out the windows of my van, it was like I could see Him everywhere. I felt like I could reach out and touch Him! The sense of peace and joy that I felt was tangible, like I tasted heaven for just a brief moment. I remember it like it was yesterday and it was several years ago.


It still blows me away to think that God used a song that I sinfully judged to give me the most overwhelming encounter with Him I think I have ever had.

Bless our God, O peoples; let the sound of his praise be heard, who has kept our soul among the living and has not let our feet slip. Psalm 66:8-9

Thank you that you do not let my feet slip and no matter how immature and unreasonable my heart is, you keep me, Lord. If it were up to me I would have turned away from you for far lesser things and missed out on the reason that I was made. Thank you for the righteousness of Christ and His saving power!

All the colors of the rainbow
All of voices of the wind
Every dream that reaches out
That reaches out to find where love begins
Every word of every story
Every star in every sky
Every corner of creation lives to testify
For as long as I shall live
I will testify to love
I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough
With every breath I take I will give thanks to God above
For as long as I shall live
I will testify to love
From the mountains to the valleys
From the rivers to the sea
Every hand that reaches out
Every hand that reaches out to offer peace
Every simple act of mercy
Every step to kingdom come
All the Hope in every heart will speak what love has done.

4 comments:

JanAl said...

Thanks for inviting me!
I will use this as a help to pray for you, and to also keep you accountable.
I love the water on the layout!
The reason I started the Ponderings blog, was to write down what God is teaching thru my studies, and to have it as a review/reminder so that I do not lose sight of what He is teaching me, and the only reason I made it public is so that maybe it would help someone else and maybe thru my struggles, I can be an encouragement to other women. I struggle with the whole pride issue with in that I do not know if people will mis-understand what I am saying, I know what I mean, but sometimes the words do not come out the same.

Amanda said...

Thanks!
And I know what you mean about misunderstading. That's part of my problem, I always want to say everything perfectly, and I can't. I have real problem with feeling like I'm not the smartest person on the planet. :) Or thinking that someone might disagree with me.
Now I am thinking about maybe making mine public, too. I don't know who would ever read it, but maybe what God is showing me could be helpful to someone else. I'll have to pray about that one.

Janal, you have been so good for me, you have no idea!

JanAl said...

I find it hard to believe that I could be any good for anyone! :}
You have God's wisdom in you, I have heard it. Do you know what the last couple of months have taught me, If someone has a problem with me, that is their problem, I am accountable to God only, and if there is sin in me, or mis-understanding in me, I am in constant prayer that God will reveal that to me. He is God, and I am not.

DL said...

That is a great insight into psalm 66