Thursday, January 8, 2009

Psalm 8 How Majestic Is Your Name

When I look at your heavens, the work of your fingers, the moon and the stars, which you have set in place, what is man that you are mindful of him, and the son of man that you care for him? Yet you have made him a little lower than the heavenly beings and crowned him with glory and honor. You have given him dominion over the works of your hands, you have put all things under his feet. vv4-6

God has "set His glory above the heavens." When I look up into the sky at night and contemplate what is up there, my mind is stretched beyond it's capabilities. I cannot even grasp what I am looking at. All of the smartest and most gifted people from all of the ages combined have come up with very little about what is in the universe and how it works. God's glory is far beyond any of this! The pieces of the cosmos are like his props for his play! And the bible says that he has crowned MAN with glory and honor and put all things under his feet. We are NOTHING compared to him and yet he cares for us, and not only that, has given us a place of honor in His universe.

As one who has been given a place of honor and glory by God, I can't help but be convicted that my life should have a certain standard of excellence. God has given us unbelievably complex bodies and minds and hearts, and what do I use mine for? Mostly my own vain pursuits that will never amount to anything. And when I do use them for something good, I do most things half-heartedly and half-way!

God help me to push my body and my mind and my emotions to their limits in pursuit of you and in the advancement of your Kingdom. I am so lazy!! You have given me the tools to work with and I have misused them and dishonored your name. Thank you for the gift of my body and mind. Help me to use them for you today in any way that you direct me!

4 comments:

DL said...

That is a great insight into psalm 8

DL said...

"Thank you for the gift of my body and mind. Help me to use them for you today in any way that you direct me!"

We're both thankful for the same thing and we're both praying for the same thing. I guess we really are two peas in a pod.:)

JanAl said...

God will use you, because you are willing, and making yourself available.

and you are a silly woman, I deserve no thanks, God will use this to bless others with what He is revealing to your heart.
I LOVE YOU AND AGAIN, I AM PROUD TO CALL YOU SISTER!

Amanda said...

Janal,
You know that this was hard for me. I have to tell you that when I changed my settings so that this would be public, a big warning flashed on my screen, "This will allow ANYONE to read your blog. Don't worry we will save your reader list in case you change your mind." I cracked up! I guess if I were one of those people always looking for signs, I would have changed my mind.

Since Darby's reading, I'm going to have to be careful about using the word "body" in reference to myself. Apparently it's very distracting to him!

I LOVE YOU AND AGAIN, YOU HAVE NO IDEA HOW MUCH YOU'VE DONE FOR ME.