Thursday, January 29, 2009

Psalm 1: In All That He Does He Prospers

Psalm 1

1 Blessed is the man
who walks not in the counsel of the wicked,
nor stands in the way of sinners,
nor sits in the seat of scoffers;
2 but his delight is in the law of the Lord,
and on his law he meditates day and night.

3 He is like a tree
planted by streams of water
that yields its fruit in its season,
and its leaf does not wither.
In all that he does, he prospers.

My heart has been heavy for the lost lately. I have repented for trying to shelter myself and my family and realized that we need to be out in the world loving people, and that may mean associating with people who are not like us. But these verses remind me to be on guard in the midst of this mission. Surrounding myself with those who do not know the Lord calls for extra caution. God does not want me to begin to think like them, or take their counsel or walk in their way... that's not going to help anyone.

If I want our work to prosper, I must meditate and delight in God's Word!! I am praying and longing to yield fruit and God has just shown me how that is going to happen. God's words are cultivating in me a stronger love for Christ than I have ever had. This is what is going to bear fruit, in season, when God chooses. I praise Him today that He has given me the desire to soak up His Word.

Father, you know my heart, you know how weak I am! Let me love the people around me without falling. Let me use my Christian liberty to relate to people without becoming them. Lord, keep Your Word in my heart. Do not let this desire fade. I know that if I were left to myself, my love for your word will depart as quickly as it came. Help ours to be a church that is in love with Your Word and with the Jesus that it reveals so that our work here in these communitites will prosper.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lord, keep Your Word in my heart.
I join you in this prayer in regard to myself, sister. I am continually learning that not only is salvation a gift from God, but so many other graces are gifts from our heavenly Father as well. One of them being a hunger for His word. May my flesh be crucified daily so that the Holy Spirit can have His way with me, leading me into all truth and then helping me to walk therein.
God grant us wisdom which begins with a fear and awe of You. Conform us to Your Son that we might continue the work He began by bringing light into the world. Amen.

JanAl said...

To be more like Jesus....... has been my prayer for the past several months .

Amanda said...

Thank you, sisters, for sharing!