Friday, February 27, 2009

The Love of Christ That Surpasses Knowledge

Ephesians 3

14
For this reason I bow my knees before the Father, 15 from whom every family in heaven and on earth is named, 16 that according to the riches of his glory he may grant you to be strengthened with power through his Spirit in your inner being, 17 so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith—that you, being rooted and grounded in love, 18 may have strength to comprehend with all the saints what is the breadth and length and height and depth, 19 and to know the love of Christ that surpasses knowledge, that you may be filled with all the fullness of God.

I prayed these verses and others in Ephesians 3 with fervency this morning. This is near and dear to my heart right now that the Christians around me, including myself, would be strengthened with power through the Spirit. And that we would know the love of Christ that surpasses knowledge.

I absolutely love that He uses these words here, "surpasses knowledge." Sometimes I am tempted to think that what we need is more learning, more training, we need to understand more. But I think the truth is that we need Christ, himself! The love of Christ surpasses knowledge. Being filled with all the fullness of God has to mean more than understanding doctrine. I am convinced that Christians need to soak in God's Word, not just for the purpose of knowledge, but to actually let the Holy Spirit transform us in a supernatural way as we gaze on Christ and comprehend His love and all that He is. The Word is alive and active! Not the ink on the page, but the Holy Spirit's breath in our ears as we read it. I pray that we would see a revival of believers being passionate about hearing from God through His Word.

20 Now to him who is able to do far more abundantly than all that we ask or think, according to the power at work within us, 21 to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, forever and ever. Amen.

Father, I thank you that you are a God who is able to do far more abundantly than all I ask or think! All of the visions that I can muster of a great work being done in this area are nothing compared to what you can really do. I pray that you will show me the breadth, and the length, and the height, and the depth, and let me know the love of Christ that surpasses understanding. Let me not hold on to it for myself, but show me how to pass it on so that, "through the church the manifold wisdom of God might be made known... " Continue to speak to me through your Word, Lord. You are truly beautiful and I see it more clearly every time see you, especially through your Word, but also through those around me through whom you shine. To you be all glory!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amanda ~ these verses and what you have written about them have reverberated deeply within me this morning and are just what I needed to be reminded of today.

May the Spirit help us to continually comprehend the deep, abiding, unmeasurable love and beauty of Jesus so that we can properly share Him with those who also need His saving and transforming grace in their lives.

Nan said...

Hi!

Amanda, once again, a moving post!