Sunday, February 22, 2009

Overflowing

This is not true to my blog's purpose, it is not meditation on any certain scripture, but I just have to share.

I cannot contain my emotion... rare for me! I feel like my heart is going to burst. Everything seems new and fresh and amazing today. I am seeing the world through the eyes of a new believer and it is increasing my affection for Jesus by bucketfuls. After 2 years of prayer, many messy, unorganized conversations about life and faith, 4 months of hearing the preaching of the word, and a few tears, my friend Heather was baptized today!

2 weeks ago she professed to me that her trust was placed fully in Jesus and she wants to follow Him. What a glorious day to see her profess this in front of the whole church in baptism. God has done a wonderful work in her life and in mine through her. It is invigorating to think of how her eyes have been opened for the first time to the real meaning of life and to the only One who can satisfy the longing of her soul.

I know that the daily grind of life will, at times, stifle this joy, and the struggle of life in a fallen world will continue. I know that things will not always feel this way for her or for me, but it is sweet to savor these moments when your heart lines up with what you know is true, and you really feel as if NOTHING else in this world matters but Jesus. How I pray that these times continue to increase in my life and I can say with the apostle Paul, "For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain." and "I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content." And how I pray that Heather will endure the struggle to come. There really is nothing in this life that matters except through Christ.

6 comments:

JanAl said...

Praise God! What a blessing, for Heather and you!

Love you!

Kati said...

Could not have said it better. There really is NOTHING else. Praising God for Heather's faith! Awesome!

Anonymous said...

Seeing the joy that Heather reflected yesterday because of her new life in Christ was such a blessing!

Your testimony of how God worked through your prayers is so helpful and encouraging.

Amanda said...

Debbie,
I'm glad you were encouraged, I couldn't decide if I should get up and say anything or not. Even afterward, I thought maybe I was just rambling. I actually love to speak and testify to God's grace, but I always feel like, "Who am I to stand up and speak in front of everyone?" So thank you for mentioning that you at least followed my rambling enough to see God in it!

I was so happy to see the warm reception that Heather received on Sunday. I love our church!

Amanda said...

Janal and Kati,
Thank you girls for rejoicing with me!!! :)

Anonymous said...

To God be all glory! How merciful He is to have called a particular people to be His before the foundation of the world. And then to add to that joy by allowing us to witness someone who has been regenerated, a newborn in Christ. Wow! I continue to pray for Heather as she ventures out on the narrow way. I pray also for Brandon and the children hoping, since they have already noticed a difference in Heather, that they might be drawn to Christ by the Father.
What a blessing to hear how God used you, Amanda, in showing Christ's love to Heather and then witnessing her commitment as she was baptized, dieing to self and being raised in Christ. Hallelujah!