Wednesday, February 25, 2009

By Grace

Ephesians 2

8 For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, 9 not a result of works, so that no one may boast. 10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them.

These are very familiar verses to me, I can almost say them in my sleep. But I love it when the Holy Spirit applies familiar verses to my life in a unique way as I pray through them. This has been the most amazing thing since I have started this blog. I have learned that the power in God's Word is found in more than just memorizing scripture. His words are more than just the ink on the page. The Spirit is alive and active in actually speaking to us through His Word if we will just soak it in!

Ephesians 2 has been so freeing to me today. I have fretted and wondered what to do for the new Christians around me. How we, as a church, and as individuals can teach them everything about Jesus in a short time so that they don't make any mistakes! This would be a daunting task even if I knew everything about Jesus to teach them, but since I don't, it gets even harder.

But praise be to God, he has already prepared the good works that these new believers are to walk in! Funny how I applied these verses to myself, but not to them. The Holy Spirit has always been about the business of expanding and ordering the Church. Who am I to think that if I don't impart all of my vast knowledge to everyone, they will all be stumbling in the darkness? Now I know that I have a responsibility to make disciples and that includes passing on what I have learned, and I am excited about doing that. But it is so freeing to know that I can't mess them up! Their salvation is not by their works, OR by mine, but because of the immeasurable riches of His grace. And he intends on showing all of His bride these riches, so I don't think he will lose anyone in the process. Sigh of relief! Whew (wiping sweat from my brow!)

Lord, I am thankful that I'm incapable of doing any good on my own! It would only lead to pride and self-righteousness. I am amazed at how you allow us the joy of being your hands and feet and seeing lives changed, and yet, you keep all of the responsibility for the results, because you are preparing our works and causing us to walk in them. It blows my mind! Please give me wisdom in dealing with others, help me to always lead them to you, for You are their hope, not me. Thank you for raising me up with you and allowing me to take part in this glorious plan of yours. I don't deserve to have my name in the same sentence with Christ, let alone be seated in heavenly places with Him. All glory to you, LORD!!

7 comments:

Kati said...

Yes, how awesome when God reminds us that it is not OUR job to save an unbeliever or to sanctify a believer! (I constantly need to be reminded especially regarding my husband and children!)

Along those same lines, just yesterday the Lord reminded me with one of those "DUH revelations" that all my righteous acts are such filthy rags because they usually stem from impure motives. Ugh, what a wretch I am! Hopeless without Him!

Amanda said...

Kati,
Thank you for adding children to the conversation!! DUH! My children didn't even cross my mind while I was writing this today. But I need to be reminded constantly that they are who they are, and I can point them to Jesus constantly, but I can't make them into perfect little robots. I can't design a perfect struggle-free life for them. They are going to make mistakes and they are going to have things that are life-long struggles just like I do (it hurts to even type that!) I just pray that they have the eternal weight of glory to look forward to!

I am amazed, once again, how the Holy Spirit works through everyone so differently, then brings us together for even more benefit!

Thanks again!

Amanda said...

BTW, "Hopeless without Him!" Absolutely! But you are more than a conqueror through Him, and you are a joint-heir with Christ!

He has worked today, through your impure motives to uplift my spirit about my children (an area I where I needed uplifting.) Praise God that He transforms our filthy rags into such joy-giving service!

JanAl said...

In the past couple of months, the words in God's Word, have become vibrant and full of meaning to me, not that it did not apply before, but now when I look at them, it is not about memorizing them, like you said in your 2nd paragraph, but it is all about the meaning and what the Holy Spirit is teaching me thru it. If this makes any sense, :] (ADD) My thoughts are all over the place right now. But what I do know is that for some reason, God's Word is becoming very clear to me, these past couple of months. And the desire and love that I have for it, has never been this strong. And I love it!
(It is very strange to go back to thoughts of the old me!) Praise God that He is doing the work, not me!

Amanda said...

Janal,
I know exactly what you are saying. I truly think that most of us in western Christianity have too intellectual of a view of God's Word. It really is more than just passing on information and obeying it.

While I believe that we need teachers and preachers and God has gifted some to be that, I also believe that God will speak directly through His Word. Even to those who are less educated about the Bible and don't have the perfect hermeneutic to interpret it. I think some have lost trust in the Author and Illuminator of Scripture to guide us average, everyday Christians. So people don't read the Word on their own, they wait to hear it taught. I'm beginning to think that many are being cheated out of a the blessing of hearing from God directly through His word.

Sorry, this is my soapbox right now!

Nan said...

Hi!

I don't comment often, but I just get so inspired by your posts, Mandy! I feel like you are echoing the heartbeats of all who read them! When I read them I feel less unusual, less sinful, less out there all alone with no one to identify with. Then you echo my thoughts and others chime in and reverberate and it's like we're all one big "praise choir" singing, "Blest Be the Tie That Binds".
Keeping up a blog is a task, and you do very well at it! Thanks for your diligence!

Nan said...

Hi!

Ok...let me clarify real quick...can't really say I feel less sinful. I still
realize I'm desperately sinful, but knowing others feel that way about themselves, reminds me that all sin is common to man and we can all relate to each other's fallenness. When I think no other person could understand how much I sin and how awful I feel about it, other Christians are saying the same thing!