Friday, February 6, 2009

Psalm 16: Pleasant Places

Click here for Psalm 16

4 The sorrows of those who run after another god shall multiply;
their drink offerings of blood I will not pour out
or take their names on my lips.

5 The Lord is my chosen portion and my cup;
you hold my lot.
6 The lines have fallen for me in pleasant places;
indeed, I have a beautiful inheritance.

I am tempted to be downcast today for various reasons. The sorrows of those who chase after another god will multiply. Maybe that's why I'm downcast. Maybe my heart is taking refuge in the wrong places and it's no refuge at all. The Lord holds my lot, how could I despair. The lines have truly fallen for me in pleasant places. In this life and for the future. I have a beautiful inheritance waiting for me, and, in the meantime, a life here that is so good it sometimes draws my heart away from my true home. God has turned my sins completely upside-down and made beauty from ashes! I head down a road of self-destruction and he turns it into a journey to everlasting joy!

7 I bless the Lord who gives me counsel;
in the night also my heart instructs me.
8 I have set the Lord always before me;
because he is at my right hand, I shall not be shaken.

9 Therefore my heart is glad, and my whole being rejoices;
my flesh also dwells secure.
10 For you will not abandon my soul to Sheol,
or let your holy one see corruption.

11 You make known to me the path of life;
in your presence there is fullness of joy;
at your right hand are pleasures forevermore.

Thank you, Lord, for giving me refuge, even when my stubborn heart resists! I shall not be shaken. You have made known to me the path of life while I was happily, unknowingly traveling the path of death. Therefore my heart is glad and my whole being rejoices! I have inherited fullness of joy and pleasures forevermore. Please teach me to receive that promise in faith. Quiet the lies in my head telling me that pleasure can be found elsewhere, or that it can't be found at all. Lord, when others are hurting, help me remember that I have no happiness to offer them aside from You!!

1 comment:

JanAl said...

I needed this today!
Many "things" feel like they are failing me, but in God, I have fullness of joy, my heart is glad, and ALL PRAISE is His, that I do not have to be shaken!
Love you!