Thursday, March 26, 2009

How wimpy am I?!

Ephesians 6

5 Slaves, obey your earthly masters with fear and trembling, with a sincere heart, as you would Christ, 6 not by the way of eye-service, as people-pleasers, but as servants of Christ, doing the will of God from the heart, 7 rendering service with a good will as to the Lord and not to man, 8 knowing that whatever good anyone does, this he will receive back from the Lord, whether he is a slave or free. 9 Masters, do the same to them, and stop your threatening, knowing that he who is both their Master and yours is in heaven, and that there is no partiality with him.

If God is telling slaves to obey their masters with a sincere heart, rendering service as to the Lord and not to man, how WIMPY am I when I grumble about the "hard day" that I have? Or when I feel sorry for myself because my family expects "too much" of me? Or when I have to help someone (render service) on a day that I didn't really want to?

I am reading Uncle Tom's Cabin right now so when I see the word "slave" it brings a vivid image to mind. And when I see that God is telling them, "It's OK, you can get through it, just do it as service for me, and I will reward you more than anything you can gain in this world," it gives me great hope. First, hope for all of the slaves that have been so grossly mistreated, here in our country, and around the world. For those who had placed their hope in Jesus, they have finally found rest and fulfillment and true life. Second, it gives me hope for me! I don't have to try to fight for my own way all the time, I can just serve and rest in Christ and know that I don't have to get mine now, I'll be given more in heaven than I could ever steal here!!

(If you've never read Uncle Tom's Cabin, it's not easy reading, but it's well worth the time! It's giving me a whole new perspective on suffering and injustice. Sometimes we need stories more than we need facts.)

Lord, thank you for your forgiveness for my stubborn, self-centered heart. Give me the grace of a content slave, knowing that the more that is expected of me here that I do as service to you, the more treasure I am building in heaven. Help me to keep my eyes and heart zoomed in on YOU. Give me tunnel-vision so that I am free to give myself in service to others. Give me your heart for my children and allow me to serve them gladly! Thank you for the promise of so great a reward, to be able to see you face to face and enjoy you, the fountain of joy, for all eternity. The polar opposite of what I deserve.

No comments: