Thursday, March 5, 2009

The Dangers of Penetrating the Darkness

Ephesians 5:1-21

8 for at one time you were darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Walk as children of light 9 (for the fruit of light is found in all that is good and right and true), 10 and try to discern what is pleasing to the Lord. 11 Take no part in the unfruitful works of darkness, but instead expose them. 12 For it is shameful even to speak of the things that they do in secret. 13 But when anything is exposed by the light, it becomes visible, 14 for anything that becomes visible is light.

It is such a struggle to live in this fallen world, to take no part in the unfruitful works of darkness. For Christians who are trying to keep their hearts and minds safe, and their lives pure, outside influences can be such a hindrance and a danger. The world is full of darkness and we want to stay as far away from the darkness as we possibly can. It's not easy. Turn on the television. Log on to the internet. Drive down the highway. Listen to children talk on the playground. Listen to women talk on the phone. Listen to men talk at work. The Darkness is like slime oozing out of everything in this world.

But we are faced with these situations everyday. Most of us partake in TV. We put our hands over our children's eyes during the "bad" commercials, but then watch the shows that are promoting self-centeredness, and idolotry. We log on to the internet with a filter to filter out the "bad stuff" and then slam each other on blogs and email, and spend God's money on Ebay on things we don't need. We try not to see the racy billboards on our way to an all-you-can-eat buffet every other night to spend money we don't have on food we shouldn't eat. And on and on.

But did God actually ask us to stay away from the darkness? Or did He send us to expose it and light it up? Most of what we do, we do in our Christian homes and with our Christian friends, all the while trying to keep out the darkness. Trying to be in the world, but not of it. In reality, I think what we end up doing is being of the world (partaking in most of the things that the world does) and not in it (doing it with our Christian friends instead of reaching out to those in darkness.)

My question is, how can we expose the darkness if we are not near it? Light penetrates the darkness only when it engages it. If you light a candle two rooms away from the room that is dark, it doesn't do much good. So how much good are we doing, when the darkness in our lives is coming mostly from inanimate objects (TV, internet, etc.?) Our light never gets anywhere near the darkness in the hearts of unregenerate people because we are scared to death to be around them. What will my friends think if they see me hanging out with a drunk? If I'm not in the church building or small group, what business do I have eating with heathens? What if I get caught in a restaurant with a non-christian and she orders a glass of wine. Maybe 3 glasses and starts to show the effect? What if I'm giggling and laughing with her and everyone thinks I'm drunk, too. Are you getting nervous for me?

Now the tax collectors and sinners were all drawing near to hear him. 2 And the Pharisees and the scribes grumbled, saying, “This man receives sinners and eats with them.”

10 And as Jesus reclined at table in the house, behold, many tax collectors and sinners came and were reclining with Jesus and his disciples. 11 And when the Pharisees saw this, they said to his disciples, “Why does your teacher eat with tax collectors and sinners?”

The Son of Man has come eating and drinking, and you say, ‘Look at him! A glutton and a drunkard, a friend of tax collectors and sinners!’

These things were said about Jesus. Am I afraid to have them said about me? Yeah, sometimes I am. Sometimes I don't know where to draw the line. I don't have the perfect mind of God like Jesus did. But I do know that I cannot spend all of my days basking in the bright light of so many Christians gathered together. At some point we have to disperse and shine our lights into the dark places. Are we going to fall into sin, as we eat with sinners? Maybe. Are we going to be ridiculed? Probably. Are we going to cross the line of being of the world instead of just in it? I hope not. But are we already crossing that line in our homes, while keeping our light under a bushel? Probably.

"If you are a preacher of mercy, do not preach an imaginary but the true mercy. If the mercy is true, you must therefore bear the true, not an imaginary sin. God does not save those who are only imaginary sinners. Be a sinner, and let your sins be strong (sin boldly), but let your trust in Christ be stronger, and rejoice in Christ who is the victor over sin, death, and the world. We will commit sins while we are here, for this life is not a place where justice resides. We, however, says Peter (2. Peter 3:13) are looking forward to a new heaven and a new earth where justice will reign." ~Martin Luther

Father, help me, today, to discern what is pleasing to you. Clear my heart and mind of all of the preconcieved notions that I have of you and of what it means to be a disciple. Then fill me with the truth. Be near me, Lord, and keep me safe from the dangers of the darkness, even as I walk directly into it. Shine brightly, so that others will see you. Forgive me for when I have crossed the line and partaken in the unfruitful works of darkness. But help me to be bold and courageous in being near the darkness in order to bear fruit for your Kingdom. And in those times when I am uncertain, thank you that you are my all in all, and because of you, I am FREE!

6 comments:

JanAl said...

I thought that all my billboards had been taken down! lol!
Back to reading.....

JanAl said...

Finished~ I see that you saved it all for one day! lol!
But, seriously, I loved Darby's visual at Awana's, with the little light in a dark room. I never really thought about how my little light, can lighten such a dark area.
I also pray with you, for discernment, to be filled with wisdom and faith. I want to shine brightly, not to illuminate myself, but for Total Glory of the Gospel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kati said...

Ouch!

(It's a good ouch, but still...)

I'm a bit too comfy sitting in my circle of church friends.

Amanda said...

I think we're probably all a little too comfy! Of course, it's not a bad thing to enjoy your brothers and sisters in Christ. I just think we should be bringing more in to enjoy it with us.

JanAl said...

ah-hum! (clearing my throat!) it has been 14 days! ;]
did you ask for my accountability?
oh, I asked, but I still have to do my part. ;]

Amanda said...

Actually I did ask for your accountability on this!! That's why it even exists!!! Love you! Thank you! I know, I'm on it!