Thursday, January 7, 2010

Reckless Love

Mark 14: 1-10

3
And while he was at Bethany in the house of Simon the leper, as he was reclining at table, a woman came with an alabaster flask of ointment of pure nard, very costly, and she broke the flask and poured it over his head. 4 There were some who said to themselves indignantly, “Why was the ointment wasted like that? 5 For this ointment could have been sold for more than three hundred denarii and given to the poor.” And they scolded her.

Most likely without calculating and without deliberating, this woman poured out the most valuable thing she had in an act of impulsive love toward Jesus. For us conservative christian types this looks... well... stupid. How did that help anything? What does anyone have to show for it? Apparently that is exactly what some of those in the room thought as well. And they scolded her for it. I can't imagine that being scolded in public is very much fun. Especially when she was involved in something that was deeply emotional. Maybe we wouldn't have scolded her out loud, but for some of us, our conservative sensibilities tell us that she was being overly emotional and she could have found a better use for her possessions.

Jesus disagrees.

6 But Jesus said, “Leave her alone. Why do you trouble her? She has done a beautiful thing to me... " (The way that Jesus came to her rescue here brought me to tears this morning as I prayed through this.)

I am so inclined to be like those in the room and calculate what I give of myself. I do it constantly. With my children, with my husband, with my friends, with my service to the Lord in every area. Now, I know that it is wise to decide what is the best use of my time, and that I can't say yes to everything, but is wisdom always my motive, or is it usually just selfishness? Like, if I give this much, there's not much left for me. Wisdom is desirable, but I think that this passage shows us that there is a time to just be "irresponsible" and pour out everything you have just because you love Jesus that much. No calculating, no wondering what the outcome will be, no wondering if everyone will think you're crazy, just give.

Lord, grant me the faith and the love that this woman had. Let me break open this jar and pour out my life to you with reckless abandon. It is so easy for me to deliberate over choices and weigh options so long that I don't do anything. It is so easy to always wonder if I could be doing something different. Lord, show me what you would have me do, and let me jump in with both feet and pour my life out for the cause of Your Kingdom. Not only in the big things, but in everyday choices. Let me be used up for you, and stop holding so much back for myself and my selfish desires! Help me to see your beauty and know that anything that I hold back is only keeping me from the true happiness and fulfillment that can only be found in You.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

manda ~ this post touches me deeply and draws me to examine my own heart motives to see how extravagantly I am really willing to show my deep love to Jesus, regardless of the cost and regardless of what others may think. Your prayer is so beautiful and one I know God is honored to hear and answer!

Amanda said...

Debbie,
I know that your heart is the same and I believe that the Lord is going to show us both clear direction so that we can take our journey with confidence and pour our lives into His Kingdom!