Monday, January 4, 2010

Dependence

Isaiah 42: 1-4

1 Behold my servant, whom I uphold,
my chosen, in whom my soul delights;
I have put my Spirit upon him;
he will bring forth justice to the nations.
2 He will not cry aloud or lift up his voice,
or make it heard in the street;
3 a bruised reed he will not break,
and a faintly burning wick he will not quench;
he will faithfully bring forth justice.
4 He will not grow faint or be discouraged
till he has established justice in the earth;
and the coastlands wait for his law.

In my reading this morning I came across these verses as an illustration of the perfect servant. I have always known this passage as a description of Christ, but never thought about it specifically as something for me to try to imitate. The author of the book I am reading says, "Christ the promised Messiah, rendered the perfect devotion and service that Israel had failed to give and met the highest ideals of both His Father and of man... Isaiah depicts the ideal Servant of Jehovah and the qualities He will display." (J. Oswald Sanders) Of course, in the New Testament we get to see Jesus display these qualities and we are told to imitate them (John 13:12-16, among others.)

These verses are packed full of attributes, and I invite you to meditate on all of them, but one of them really pierced my heart today. The very first words, "Behold, my servant whom I uphold..." are filled with life application for me! Jesus' dependence on the Father is such a beautiful mystery. If the Father was upholding Jesus while He was on this earth (at the same time Jesus was upholding the universe,) then how much more do I need Him to uphold me? My dependence on Him is all-encompassing! I need Him for everything, from wisdom in ministry right down to the breath that I just took. Jesus, who created everything with just his words, displays utter dependence on the Father. And, I, who can't even take my own breath without him, let alone create something else, act like I've got everything under control!

Reading these verses this morning after yesterday hearing my husband preach a message out of Luke about the mystery of the incarnation and Christ's dependence on the Father and the Spirit, leads me to believe that the Spirit is wanting me to GET this message right now. The Lord has offered me some new ministry opportunities recently and He is faithful in teaching me the lessons that I will need in order to shine for Him. I have nothing to offer anyone but the living water that flows from the Lord! So if I am not completely dependent on Him in ministry then I am really giving nothing.

Lord, teach me to fall on you! Show me what it means to depend on you for everything. Let me humble myself so that your name can be lifted up. I can't even give my family what they need apart from your Living Water. I lift up my cup, Lord, fill it to overflowing so that your love and truth spill over onto those around me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"whom I uphold" - three words that hold so much meaning, yet I admit I would have passed right over them without even considering the beautiful truth you brought out about Jesus' dependence on the Father to uphold Him and how that ties into what Darby shared Sunday from Luke 6. Thank you!

I ordered the book "Spiritual Discipleship" yesterday and look forward to reading it.